Monday, November 17, 2008

Update: Week of 11/9-11/17

There's not too much to discuss this week. I spent most of my time conducting research for my independent study project, as well as two interviews, which provided me with plenty of information and interesting point of views on my topic-Jordanian Foreign Policy with Regard to the War on Terror. I find myself enjoying this month off from classes. I prefer to create my own schedule, rather than follow the rigid program that we were prior to the ISP period. During the week we would be in classes from 9-4pm. Many of us would stay after to do homework before going home, not allowing us much time to do anything else. Since classes have ended I've begun my days a little later. I usually head to the gym everyday and then begin researching or interviewing, going wherever I need to go, enjoying my new found freedom.

I spent the weekend going out with my host brother and one of my American friends to play pool at some local billiard joints. While I was never very good at the game, and lost most of the rounds, I do think my pool skills have improved somewhat.

Going back to my project-I have been shocked at the accessibility of former government officials here. One interview that I will be conducting in the future is with one of Jordan's former foreign ministers. I was given his phone number, and I scheduled an interview by simply calling him myself. These officials are much more accessible than government officials in the states. It would be nearly impossible for me to get an interview with figures such as Colin Powell or James Baker back home.

That sums up the past week, and this week will most likely not be very different. With just two weeks left to complete my project, I will be conducting a lot of research and some interviews. This coming Friday I will be having lunch with Muhammed, who I met back in September when I was invited to have Iftar at his home(see This Past Week: 9/7-9/14 and Weekend in Aqaba). Last Friday marked the beginning of my last month in Jordan. It's hard to believe I will be returning back to the United States in just four weeks. I have been loving my time here, but it will be nice to be home for the holidays.

Salaam

No comments: